Are you eligible for the Self-Employed Tax Credit (SETC) but unsure about important deadlines for claiming it? As a self-employed worker, you must know the schedule of key dates related to filing for the tax credit.
This guide will break down the SETC tax credit schedule covering critical deadlines for 2021 and 2022. You’ll get key dates for:
- Tax filing deadlines
- When to submit Form 7202
- Claiming retroactive credits
- Processing timeframes
- Extensions availability
- Amended return submissions
These SETC due dates will help ensure you don’t miss out on available tax relief.
Overview of the Self-Employed Tax Credit
First, let’s quickly recap what the Self-Employed Tax Credit is:
- Originates from the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
- Provides tax credits to self-employed workers equivalent to the emergency paid leave given to employees under FFCRA
- Eligible individuals can claim up to $17,000 in refundable tax credits
- Credits reimbursed for income lost while unable to work due to COVID-19
- Credits are claimed on Form 7202 and submitted with personal tax returns
Understanding the tax credit basics sets the context for the schedule and deadlines self-employed filers need to know.
Important SETC Deadlines for 2021 Taxes
Here are the key dates self-employed individuals should know for claiming the SETC on their 2021 taxes:
April 18, 2022
- Deadline for filing individual 2021 tax returns
- Last day to submit Form 7202 to claim 2021 SETC credits
October 17, 2022
- Deadline for requesting an extension on 2021 tax filing
October 15, 2026
- Last date to file an amended 2021 return to claim any missed SETC credits
Within three weeks of e-filing
- The frame to receive any SETC refund after electronically submitting your 2021 return
So, file your 2021 taxes with Form 7202 by April 18, 2022, or request an October extension. You can also amend to claim any credits up until October 15, 2026.
Key SETC Dates for 2022 Taxes
If you qualified for the Self-Employed Tax Credit in 2022, here are the deadlines to know:
April 18, 2023
- Deadline for submitting your 2022 tax return
- Last chance to claim 2022 SETC credits on Form 7202
October 16, 2023
- Extension deadline for filing 2022 taxes
October 15, 2027
- Final date to amend your 2022 tax return if you need to claim missed SETC credits
Within 3 weeks of e-filing
- Timeframe to get any refund due from claimed 2022 SETC credits
So be sure to file on time by April 18, 2023, to claim credits you’re entitled to from leave taken in 2022.
Claiming Retroactive SETC Credits
Thanks to the amended return process, you can claim SETC tax credits retroactively if you missed them on initial filing:
- 2020 credits – Amend 2020 return by 4/15/2024
- 2021 credits – Amend 2021 return by 10/15/2026
- 2022 credits – Amend 2022 return by 10/15/2027
Just be aware that it takes the IRS longer to process amended returns, so your refund will take months longer than e-filing on time.
Can I Get an Extension?
If you won’t meet the April tax filing deadlines, you can submit an extension request by:
- October 2022 for 2021 taxes
- October 2023 for 2022 taxes
This gives you six more months to prepare and file your return. But you must still pay any estimated taxes owed on time to avoid penalties.
Act Fast to Get Your SETC Refund
The key takeaway is to file Form 7202 with your tax return by the deadline to promptly claim the Self-Employed Tax Credit. Although amended returns are an option for retroactive credits, waiting will significantly delay your refund.
Knowing the SETC tax credit schedule ensures you can maximize the valuable COVID-related financial relief you may qualify for as a self-employed taxpayer. Don’t leave money on the table that can aid your income and recovery!
FAQ’s for SETC Tax Credit Schedule
When is the deadline to claim the 2021 SETC tax credit?
The deadline to claim the 2021 SETC tax credit is April 18, 2022, when 2021 individual tax returns are due.
Can I file for an extension if I need more time to claim the SETC?
Yes, you can file for an extension by October 17, 2022 to give you until October 17, 2022 to submit your 2021 tax return with Form 7202 for the SETC.
How far back can I claim SETC tax credits if I missed them?
You can amend tax returns to claim any missed SETC credits up to 3 years back. For example, 2020 credits could be claimed on an amended return until April 15, 2024.
When will I get my tax refund after claiming the SETC?
A: If you e-file your tax return, which includes Form 7202, to claim the SETC, expect your tax refund within 3 weeks of submitting your return. Refunds from amended returns can take 3-6 months.
Employee Retention Credit With Federal Tax Credits SETC
Have you had difficulties determining if your business qualifies for the Self Employed Tax Credit (SETC)?
Federal Tax Credits SETC is here to answer any of your questions, offer assistance, and even provide a complimentary SETC Qualification Check.
Our team of SETC Experts offers white glove service for tax filing, amending returns, determining eligibility, and how to file for the SETC Tax Credit.
The time is now to get your Self Employed Tax Credit while the tax credits are still in place. The program is still available but won’t be around for too much longer.
Get the tax credit your business is entitled to and receive game-changing money back to be used for whatever you choose. Remember, this is not a loan and does not need to be paid back.
Contact Federal Tax Credits SETC now, and let us help you receive your business tax cre
Claimed SETC for your business yet?
Your chance to claim as self-employed. See if your business can get money today.
"*" indicates required fields